Saturday , June 22 2024

Blinken in Middle East to sell Gaza ceasefire deal

11-06-2024

CAIRO: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has visited Egypt as he attempts to build regional support for a draft Gaza peace deal recently unveiled by President Joe Biden.

The top American diplomat is on his eighth visit to the Middle East since the start of the war in Gaza.

Following a meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Blinken said his message was: “If you want a ceasefire, press Hamas to say yes”.

He will hold talks later on Monday in Jerusalem with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Mediators in the region which also include Qatar – have been attempting to negotiate a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas for months.

Netanyahu has vowed to resist any such deal until Hamas’s military and governing capabilities are destroyed and all hostages are released.

On Saturday, Israel’s forces, backed by air strikes, freed four more captives after fighting intense gun battles with Hamas in and around the Nuseirat refugee camp.

The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza said the raid killed 274 people, including children and other civilians. Israel says fewer than 100 people died in the operation.

After the offensive, Hamas’s political leader said the group would not agree to a ceasefire deal unless it achieved security for Palestinians.

Blinken is using his trip to argue that Hamas is the sole obstacle to the agreement of the ceasefire-for-hostage release deal that the US desperately seeks.

“Does Hamas want to end this conflict, end this war that it started, or not? We’ll find out,” he said but “it’s clear that virtually the entire world has come together in support of the proposal.”

The three-phase plan set out 10 days ago by Biden would involve a six-week ceasefire that would become permanent, and the rebuilding of Gaza with international assistance.

The president called it Israel’s proposal, in an attempt to effectively bounce the two sides into progress. The Biden administration claims the text is “nearly identical” to one endorsed by Hamas last month. Hamas is likely to demand guarantees the plan would lead to a permanent ceasefire and full Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza Strip. Its political leadership in Doha has yet to formally respond to the proposal, according to US and Israeli officials, so it remains to be seen whether indirect negotiations can resume.

During its 7 October attacks in southern Israel, Hamas killed about 1,200 people and took some 251 people hostage.

Some 116 remain in the Palestinian territory, including 41 the army says are dead.

A deal agreed in November saw Hamas release 105 hostages in return for a week-long ceasefire and some 240 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.

The Hamas-run health ministry says the death toll in Gaza has surpassed 37,000 while Biden presented the peace initiative as an Israeli one, the US also knows Israel’s own fractious ruling coalition is approaching the plan with much reluctance.

This extends to outright opposition by some far-right ministers who are threatening to trigger a collapse of the government if the deal progresses.

America’s chief diplomat is therefore flying into the thick of a political storm in Israel with few signs of a breakthrough on the truce proposal. The resignation of former general Benny Gantz from the war cabinet on Sunday has deepened the sense of instability around Prime Minister Netanyahu, with whom the White House has become exasperated over the course of the war. (Int’l News Desk)

Check Also

Modi criticized for exam irregularities amid lack of jobs

21-06-2024 Bureau Report + Agencies NEW DELHI/ PRAYAGRAJ: India’s opposition parties and the country’s students …