JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah warned against fraudsters and social media accounts promoting Hajj services at low prices for people inside the Kingdom, Saudi news state agency SPA reported on Wednesday.
In a statement, the ministry said it had detected several fake accounts and misleading contact information for individuals who requested users’ personal information, stressing that registration for this year’s Hajj from inside the Kingdom would be through the official app “Eatmarna” and website https://localhaj.haj.gov.sa/.
Authorities urged users to immediately report unauthorized companies, offices or individuals promoting Hajj campaigns, vowing that violators would face “legal action.”
“The online Hajj portal for domestic pilgrims, set up by the ministry to receive Hajj applications from citizens and residents this year, is the only way to book services from authorized companies and institutions,” the ministry said.
It added that the registration process was monitored to ensure the implementation of COVID-19 precautionary measures.
Registration of Hajj for domestic pilgrims will continue until Saturday, June 11.
Last month, Saudi Arabia said it had allowed up to one million people to join Hajj this year, inviting pilgrims from foreign countries for the first time after two years of COVID-19 restrictions saw the annual pilgrimage limited to the residents of the Kingdom.
To perform Hajj this year, pilgrims must be under 65 years and fully vaccinated against COVID-19.