ISTANBUL: Flash floods killed dozens of people living in tents and container housing set up across Turkey’s quake-hit region on Wednesday, piling more pressure on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ahead of crunch elections.
Several more people were swept away by the rushing water, which turned streets into muddy rivers in areas hit by last month’s 7.8-magnitude quake, local media reports said.
More than 48,000 people died in Turkey and nearly 6,000 in Syria in the February 6 disaster, the region’s deadliest in modern times.
Hundreds of thousands of Turkish quake survivors have been moved into tents and container homes across the disaster region, which covers 11 provinces across Turkey’s southeast.
Torrential rains hit the area late on Tuesday and the weather service expects them to last until late Wednesday.
Turkish media said the floods killed 11 people in Sanliurfa, about 30 miles (50 kilometres) north of the Syrian border.
Two people also died in nearby Adiyaman, including a one-year-old, the reports said.
Images showed the waters sweeping away cars and flooding temporary housing set up for earthquake victims.
The Sanliurfa governor’s office said the flooding also reached the ground floor of one of the region’s main hospitals.
Facing a difficult re-election on May 14, Erdogan is confronting a furious public backlash over his government’s stuttering response to the biggest natural disaster of his two-decade rule.
Erdogan has issued several public apologies while also stressing that no nation could have dealt quickly with a disaster of such scale.
Erdogan has spent the past few weeks touring the region, meeting survivors and promising to rebuild the entire area within a year.
“By the end of next year, we will build 319,000 houses,” Erdogan told his ruling party members on Wednesday in a parliamentary address.
“Beyond the search and rescue, emergency aid and temporary shelter we have provided so far, we have a promise to our nation to restore the cities destroyed in the earthquake within a year,” he said.
Erdogan dispatched his interior minister to the flooded region to oversee the government’s response.
“Currently, we have 10 teams composed of 163 people doing search and rescue work across a 25-kilometre stretch,” Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told reporters.
“We also have divers but the weather conditions are not allowing us to do much,” he said.
Dozens people died and several others are missing after floods swept through the streets of two cities in south-east Turkey devastated by last month’s earthquakes.
Among the victims were quake survivors who had been living in container homes since the quakes.
Cars tumbled on a torrent of floodwater through the streets of Sanliurfa, where 12 people died.
A container housing two families in Adiyaman was caught up in the floods.
A woman living in the container was among two people killed in the city. Several others were reported missing. Tents in the city were evacuated.
The latest disaster came only five weeks after the twin earthquakes on 6 February in which 48,000 people were killed and many more left homeless. (Int’l Monitoring Desk)